Thursday, May 29, 2008

Yes, I have to wear dresses.

I have received more materials from the PC in the past couple weeks. I have also started emailing back and forth with about 6 volunteers currently serving in Georgia. It is becoming quite real.

My Grandma helped me pick out some teaching supplies the other day. Taylor came with me to EMS to pick out a good backpack, and I went with Dana, Tim and Ray to buy some appropriate teaching attire. They got their share of laughs in as I attempted to pick out dresses, skirts and blouses for the summer-utterly ridiculous to see me in this clothing.

I read a blurb from current Georgian volunteers (G7's), they all strongly suggested that I learn the Georgian alphabet, and common phrases before arriving in Philly on the 13th. Apparently the language is nearly impossible and taking initiative now will help me during training...so I started to work on it. Learning Georgian = Frustration.

I am part of the 8th group to go to Georgia through the Peace Corps. It is the newest service destination for the PC, very exciting! My staging event is in Philadelphia, my flight is from New York to Istanbul, I have a 10 hour layover and then finally fly into Tbilisi, Georgia on June 16/17 depending.

There is an intense amount of information I could share but I will wait until I have something interesting to share!

Nakhvamdis! (Goodbye)

1 comment:

Kati said...

Dearest Gretchface,

Ah! This is insane, I can't even pronounce that last word. Props to you missy. Anyways, Kari and I decided that we should do a little research of our own, in order to understand the culture you are about to experience! Let's just say it was very enlightening. Here are some of the wise proverbs that come from Georgia:

"The cat which did not reach the sausage said: Anyhow it is Friday"

"You cackle in our place but you lay your eggs at someone else's place"

"You can buy 'em but they don't stay bought"

I think we can all safely say we have no fucking clue what any of that means. we love you and are thinking of you always and forever... near and far, closer together, everywhere I will be with you, everyday i will devour you-hmmm maybe these aren't the right lyrics. peace outttt!

*Sklutface Killah and K.Edge