Saturday, July 5, 2008

July 1, 2008 Georgia has how many kinds of spiders?








Today was relatively low-key. Training was intense and we all seemed to hit a wall. Technical training went very well…we meet our summer counterparts tomorrow! That is exciting because we are a few days away from actually teaching a classroom of Georgian children for the first time.

Lizi and Nona reminded me that tomorrow is my birthday. And they made it very clear that I was encouraged to invite any friends over to help celebrate. Nona also made sure I was free tomorrow night because they are doing dinner for me at our bebia’s (grandma’s) house.

Tonight, while taking one of the hottest showers I have ever taken in my life, I was introduced to roughly 5 different types of spiders. I have never been so scared to shower! I still have goosebumps just thinking about it. I was so frightened that I didn’t even put my clothes on; I ran out into the dark in my towel, across the front yard into my room. The spiders here are SO gross. I am going to say that ignorance is bliss, and I wish I had never been confronted with this reality. Quick FYI, there are over 500 different spiders in this country. FIVE HUNDRED?!!! If there were ever a time for me to get over my fear of spiders, I suppose it is NOW. One small step in the right direction- shower with a few and do not have a panic attack. Check plus for Gretch! I am praying that I don’t have anymore nightmares about them. Hahaha. Pathetic, I know…alas, I have already had a few terribly upsetting dreams about spiders. They are SO CREEPY. Ok, enough is enough. I just turned 22. That may in fact be worse than spiders…

July 2, 2008 “Welcome to the stage of life where every birthday is one more step downhill.” –Phil

The caption for this entry is a text message I received from my friend Phil this morning. Thanks bubba. Haha. I suppose he is right. JUST KIDDING. Well, another birthday abroad and I must say it was lovely. I had class all morning and technical in the afternoon. Today we met our temporary counterparts for summer school, which starts…MONDAY! It is three weeks long and the students ask to participate. The level of motivation is definitely skewed but I am not protesting! Haha. I need all the practice I can get. Working with actual Georgian English teachers for the first time was interesting to say the least. It made it very evident to us that learning Georgian is a must.

After class my cluster came back to my house to study together before going to my bebias house for my birthday. My host mom told me to invite whomever I wanted over, as long as we were there at 6pm. As we were studying Travis got a call and left quickly…very strange behavior for him. Come to find out Amanda and Tyler showed up, with flowers to boot!!!! They are in a village about an hour away. I was SO surprised to see them. It was the best gift I could have received. Tyler’s host brother drove them from Ruisi, their village outside of Gori. He got lost on the way and they took over two hours to get to me. Talk about dedication! J

We headed to my bebias (Grandma) house for dinner. They had a MASSIVE barbiedoll cake on the table for me, with my name written in Georgian across the front. It was amazing. I have never seem a cake that intricate…and definitely never that size. I am talking wedding cake status here people. They gave me gifts and made toasts to me (and my family/friends in America). The Georgian champagne was very good! Everyone is so caring here, it really touched me a great deal. Not only my friends taking it upon themselves to surprise me on a weeknight when we have curfew, but my host family as well. The food was amazing, as usual, the cake was astonishing, and the company was priceless. I felt so genuinely loved. It is remarkable considering I have only been here for two weeks, and have only known my fellow trainees for little over three weeks. It really feels like much longer.

On top of all that gloriousness, I got to talk to my parents, brother and one set of Grandparents! I also received wonderfully considerate emails from family and friends. Thank you to everyone that thought of me, it really brought a huge smile to my face all day. And will continue to do so when I am feeling lonely. I LOVE AND MISS YOU ALL!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

to know you is to love you gretch....the spiders in your room miss you...alot, they are building the ultimate web for your return...xoxoxoxox

Unknown said...

Can I just say that I have seen more spiders in this East Hampton house than I have in one house in my entire life- Rebecca loves to keep the back door open for the breeze. There are really only two kinds I've seen... but I guess wherever you are the bugs follow you and we will both have to get over our fears :)