Saturday, July 5, 2008

June 27, 2008 Week One Down.



Last night Travis was over to work on our safety and security documents and our practice lesson plans. I am pretty sure my host parents think we are dating, and as they put it, “Travisi is aris kargi bitchi” – Travis is a good boy. One thing that will be hard to get used to is the gender role issue here. Girls are not friends with boys, nor women with men the same way we are in the States. So, for Travis to come over after 6pm to work on assignments is not common. Luckily, I have a very liberal deda (mom) so she was not upset at all. They made him stay for a second dinner, hospitality has been taken to a new level in Georgia. I love it.

This morning we traveled by ourselves for the first time and all went well. We arrived to our Hub session (group meeting with the entire training class). It was so awesome to see everyone again! It seems like we are all so much closer than we are…it feels like I have known some people my whole life. I am amazed at how quickly people can bond in situations like this.

Meetings consisted of serious topics- sexual assault, safe transportation, HIV etc. PC has done a great job of preparing us for every worst-case situation. We got our debit cards, and had more vaccination shots. My arms are KILLING ME! The nurses laughed at me because I made a few funny noises while receiving the shots. I said it felt like they were giving me rabies, not a vaccination to prevent it! Haha. In any event, it was a great day all–in-all. When I got back I read a bit and finished my laundry. When I heard Nona in the kitchen I decided to go help her with dinner. She was so excited and let me jump right in, I was very excited to cook a bit.

I made the eggplant fried in a skillet. Then chopped cilantro and fresh garlic, mixed them to create a sauce of sorts. Then I spread it on the pieces of eggplant and folded them in half, making a beautiful platter! It was so delicious. Nona was so happy I helped her that she made a joke to Salome about switching me for Lizi who will not be bothered in the kitchen. She is an 11 year old girl with a vibrant, outgoing, imaginative personality…she will not be caged in to say the least! Nona told me tonight that Lizi wants to move to New York at some point. Fitting, huh? Salome on the other hand is considering law school, which is not common in Georgia. She is a very bright girl. She is quiet but a patient georgian teacher. I appreciate her efforts, and I teach her english.

I got to talk to my dad, mom and brother tonight! It was awesome to hear about life at home and to describe some experiences without having to type it all! Hah. I took a LONG shower tonight. It was SUPER DUPER AWESOME. I went all out and even shaved my legs. WOOP WOOP. I had a snickers bar the other day, I don’t think I even tasted one bite of it. In fact, it is very likely that I swallowed it whole. Hahaha. Just playin. Oh snap! Tonight at dinner chemi deda pulled out these mini twix bars. I am dead serious!! They were in a case like oreos- 30 mini twix bars. I went buck wild on those things. SO GOOD.

Ok it is after midnight and I have…yup, you guessed it…CLASS at 9am. Holla at a playa when you see her in the streets. At least I am done at 2:30pm tomorrow not 6pm. Haha.

Gretchen OUT.

No comments: