Friday, June 27, 2008

June 26, 2008 T’chame, T’chame!

Things are plugging along here on this side of the pond. Classes are long and the work is crazy draining. We are all surviving and that is what counts. Yes things are different here- we do not use toilets, nor do we have showers in the same room as the latrine. Time seems to stand still a lot longer in Kveshkheti, but I like it. Minus the overwhelming amounts of mandatory, logistical information we have to go through for the PC I have been so relaxed. Take this moment for instance…I am chillin’ in my bed it is about 10:45pm here (about 2:45pm at home). I am listening to some sweet tunes on my Ipizzod and documenting some of my experiences to the best of my abilities. It is taking a long time because I keep watching these bugs on my computer screen, clean themselves. Or maybe they have an itch? All I know is the cutest one keeps moving its little legs together and it is adorable. I can honestly say that I never thought I would come to a point in my life where I found a bug cute. Hahaha. It was hot today for the first time in about a week so the bugs are out to play if you know what I’m sayin’. I have my lights out because I am very close to bedtime, thus bugs on my computer screen! Sweet. It is funny how much I took for granted at home, and how much I have come to appreciate in just one week in a village.

Chemi deda (my mom) is so kind and loving. I have had so much fun getting to know her and her family! We had lunch at my house today with my cluster and Nona made Khikhali (Meat Dumplings, a traditional Georgian Dish). For those of you that do not know- I LOVE DUMPLINGS! And I miss Mr. Dumpling Man sooooooo much. What an awesome surprise, and the people in my cluster got to partake in an awesome lunch. The dumplings were the size of my face and had a little spice to them. It was so tasty. Nona has really made sure that I know how much she wants me here, and really makes me feel so wanted!

We get to meet up with the other 45 volunteers tomorrow for a group training day and more vaccinations. Awesome. I love needles…NOT. Eh, I guess I’d rather have a few shots before I’d want a disease. Haha. I get to see some of the people I get along with the most, who just happen to be in the village furthest from me. Hah. Go figure. It makes it more exciting when we do get to see one another I suppose. J To be honest, I know it is better that I am not very close to the people in my cluster because I would not be integrating at all!

Pizza minda!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please thank Nona for me because I am so grateful for the loving care she has given you. A big hello and thank you to the rest of the family also for welcoming you into their family - not an easy thing for anyone who lives with you for any length of time!!!!!!!!! Of course I am kidding.....

Kari said...

Oh my goodness, I have not read this in a while! I still find it ridiculous that you are in a country I cannot locate on a map (maybe I will do that right now so I don't feel like a moron). I can't wait to see pictures...make me proud with that camera.

I miss you SO MUCH. Enjoy the koke kola (I'm sure it's no fountain Coke, but I guess it will have to do).

Thinking of you blessing! LOVE YOU!

Unknown said...

Hey dear, I miss you tons and promise to write you a letter this week (I am starting work officially.) Keep updating cause, like Kari, I still cannot believe you are so far away and it's probably going to take me some time to get used to it!! That being said, I am so happy to learn they are treating you well over there :) Keep at the language, it will come. If I know you, you are working your little tush off and you won't quit until you've got it! Love you, Christen

Unknown said...

Hey Punkerbean...just wanted to say "Happy Birthday" in public. Bugs taste good too and are so full of protein. HaHa You are all everyone ever talks about around here...We are all so proud of you. Keep up the good work.

Love you bigtime

The Big Cheeseman (Dad)

Xaris said...

GRETCHEN!!! I miss your face! I hope you are having a blessed happy birthday. It's so hard to imagine everything you'll be doing and are doing there. I'm sure there is a lot of excitement and fear. Please keep updating, I really miss your point of view. I'll be praying for you!