Friday, June 27, 2008

June 24, 2008 Cry Me a River

I had my first semi-breakdown today…in class of course. We were just introduced to the Georgian alphabet yesterday, and today we were putting together full written text dialogues in pairs that our teacher had mixed up. It was a great exercise! Just try to imagine being the most physically exhausted, emotionally drained, and mentally strained you have ever been in your life-then add 4 straight hours of language training with people you barely know. Awesome. Needless to say, I have been frustrated that the language isn’t coming quickly. I have been holding it together pretty well until today, I started crying in class. Haha. My co-trainee, Travis, kindly just handed me a napkin to wipe my tears. It is hard for all of us. This is new for me, and it goes without saying, good for my pride! Hah. Talk about humbling…reading like a 4 year old and having a complete blank with every other character. I know I will get it eventually. “Keep yo head up Bubba” is all I keep telling myself.

We lost two more people today from other clusters. This whole training time is set up for people to determine if it is really something they want to do for the next 2 years. Kind of genius if you ask me! The teaching training is interesting to say the least. It should be interesting to actually attempt to teach my first set of Georgian children, I hope I am capable enough. They learn British English here, so on top of learning Georgian we are all going to have to learn British spelling, vocabulary and grammar in order to affectively convey American English. Or, rather to be able to properly distinguish between British and American English. Bring it on. That is all I have to say.

Chemi megobari Salome Khartvelidan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are amazing, all you have just been through, so much change and I just know you can and will handle all that is ahead of you. It is about time you cried, I FINALLY STOPPED! xoxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

keep your head up gretch...your a strong SOB...