Friday, June 27, 2008

June 22, 2008 Say What!

This morning I woke up before my entire family did. I had to go to the bathroom last night but it is outside and I was literally scared of the dark. It is funny how much I take for granted. My host mother, Nona woke up and started making breakfast around 10am. Sunday is her only day off so she likes to sleep in a bit. It rained in the morning, creating a beautiful fog across the mountains. Salome and Lizi ate with Nona and I, Giorgi and Deviko stayed at the house next door with Deviko’s parents because this house is under construction. It should be done if a few weeks.

Nona sent the girls and I for a walk so that I could see the village. Travis, a trainee in my language and technical class is staying with my neighbors. The girls took me past the school where my training will be and then to a local store where I bought a couple phone cards. I stick out like a sore thumb and I do not know a lick of Georgian but the store owner was very nice. We stopped by to say hi to Travis and his host brother and sister and my sisters took us for a long hike up the mountain. It was so gorgeous. I could see our whole village plus two others! Amazing. Chappi, one of my family’s dogs came running out of the woods with branches and leaves all over him – so adorable!

When we came back the girls surprised me with their version of koke kola because I had mentioned that I liked it (Kari that is a shout out to you). And they gave me a bunch of fruit and waffer cookies. It was adorable so I got a gift for them out of my bag. I bought Twislers and a deck of cards and figured the girls would appreciate them the most. They showed them to everyone and Nona came in with a gift for me. A Hello Kitty pajama tank and underwear. I then proceeded to go over the alphabet with Lizi, I happen to be extrodinarily bad at this language. I showed them how to play War (Mommom and Tim I thought of you both and playing for hours by the fireplace!) Then they taught me a Georgian card game but I am still a little unclear on the rules.

Their shower is outside and is heated by a wood furnace. It was one of the best showers I have ever taken because I LOVE the smell of wood burning on a cool night. The water is really clean here, I am hoping that my body adjusts so that I can stop spending my living allowance on bottled water! Haha. (Don’t worry I am not planning on that any time soon) I am looking forward to classes tomorrow, this integration thing is a whole lot more demanding than one imagines. Lizi and Samole both sat with me and taught me how to write the Georgian alphabet, children are really such a blessing. They ask their mom to translate really cute things to me. Nona and Samole both had english work to do tonight so they helped me and I, them. Lizi is a ball of energy and a real shot of life. If I had to compare her to someone it would most definitely be me. Samole is a bit more shy, and Giorgi just laughs at my lack of knowledge…and don’t worry I laugh with him! They all got SO excited when they found out that my birthday is going to occur while I am living with them. Lizi wants to have a party with a HUGE cake and a pinata. My stomach hurt from laughing at her excitement. My host mother says hello to all my family and friends in America. If anyone wants good food, come to Georgia. It is amazing…fo real. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!

Me Var Gretcheni da Amerikelidan.

Until next time…

*Funny additional information – kids love Tupac here. I think this is where he must have ran off to when people thought he was dead. Haha. Oh and Eminem, 50 Cent and Rhianna naturally. I can’t get away from that Umbrella song no matter how hard I try!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Georgians are my kind of folks - Eminem indeed! Glad I was able to give a quick refresher of his music prior to your departure! Can't get away from some things, Eminem, birthday celebrations,no matter how far away you travel!!!! Much love to you xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

umbrella eh eh eh eh under my ummmmmbbeerrrreelllaaaa....haha thats my JAWN!