Friday, June 27, 2008

June 21, 2008 What? I don’t have to live out of my suitcase for a couple months?!

Today we had lots of logistical stuff to manage in the morning. Then lunch, then last minute language training, and then we packed up and drove to meet our Pre-Service Training host families. All of us were incredibly nervous. I must say that for someone that does not like to admit when I am feeling weak – this experience has already broken that as we all are feeling the exact same things. It is really like a breath of fresh air.

Tonight is my first night without 57 other Americans. I was introduced to my new family and we packed their car and drove off to their village. Talk about reality slapping you in the face! My host mother, Nona, speaks some english which is nice but I really have to kick it into gear now. It’s on like Donkey Kong now! I have a host father, Deviko, a 12 year old sister, Samole, an 11 year old sister Lizi and a 15 year old brother, Giorgi. Their cousin was also over tonight, a 12 year old boy named Dedo. Dinner was great lots of bread, vegetables, potatoes sauteed with onions and Grama will be proud…prunes. Haha. And yes, I ate them. They were very good!

My room has a separate entrance to the house which is nice but it also connects right to the kitchen (also very convienient for me haha). The bathroom is outside and their house is undergoing a ton of contruction right now. Lots going on for them it seems!

The kids were shy at first but so was I seeing as we don’t understand each other at all yet. After dinner I showed them some pictures of my immediate family because that is the only vocabulary I have so far haha. They loved it and started to show me their photos. I sat with the kids and Nona and pointed out things on a picture book. They taught me the Georgian words and I taught them the english! They are very fun and helpful. I am hoping to learning a great deal from them. I am going to sleep now because Lizi wants to take me for a walk tomorrow after breakfast and I have to study!

Nakhvamdis!

No comments: