Saturday, July 5, 2008

July 4, 2008 Independence Day, a day early?

For whatever reason, Peace Corps Georgia decided to have a 4th of July picnic, on July 3rd. haha. A bunch of current G6’s and G7’s were there, and the Tbilisi staff. The G6’s have 2 weeks until they are able to go home for good, so most of them were pretty excited! There were information tables set up for current secondary projects etc. There is quite a bit going on here- we are all excited to get involved. The actual picnic could have been better, however it was not a total waste. It was outside of Gori (Stalin’s birthplace). A bunch of us went into Gori afterwards to relax, some went to the Stalin museum. I was not in the mood, so I joined the bar crowd. We ended up sitting outside on a nice patio where there were some G7’s. They were really inviting and talkative. We all shared a big table and lots of stories. They are a really fun group of people, I hope we get to spend more time with them.

Today we had class and technical training involved lesson planning. I start teaching on Monday! Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. I am hoping for the best…preparing for the worst! It will be interesting. My host siblings are signed up for the summer school so that should be fun.

Tomorrow I am going into Khashuri to go to the bank and the school to use the wireless internet there. Amanda is going to meet me there, she is coming home with me. Slumber party! Woohoo. Then on Sunday we are making mexican food at Brad’s house. Hopefully all will turn out well this weekend. I just need to make sure to stay on top of all my work. BLAH.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

AAHHHH gretch...it is so good to hear you doing well and you have met some friendly spiders. HAHAHA and you thought river spiders were bad lol. well im so glad you family and friends are treating like i had hoped. It really makes me feel more and more relieved, tell them i said thank you. well i really cant tell you how much i miss you. the house feels empty without ya.

love you

Anonymous said...

Hey Gretch!

Things sound like they're going really well. The pictures make it look gorgeous there--I can't wait to see more. I hope you had a great birthday (which it sounds like you did). But most importantly right now is...GOOD LUCK AT YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!!! I'd love to hear what the Georgian education system is like--it's so awesome that you're a part of it! Alright, I'm gonna get going but good luck, be safe, have fun, and keep posting :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the schooling Gretch. If you get flustered what with the language barrier and all, it's ok to laugh nervously, but whatever you do, DO NOT MAKE THE HORSE FACE AT THEM. I ate an extra burrito for you today.

Unknown said...

Hey....don't worry, spiders don't eat much and they are full of protein and no carbs...try dipping them in chocolate or honey for a special treat...I like hot sauce myself. The pics look great and I'm glad you're having fun. I miss you big time.

Love the "Big Cheeseman"

Kari said...

Gretchypoo, I can only imagine you as the head of a classroom. Haha, I wish I was there to see.

Thinking of you LOTS!

Anonymous said...

OMG, I'm kind of incompetent. I just found your blog for the first time. Yay, though! Haha