Saturday, July 12, 2008

July 11, 2008 Word up? Not only class but a TEST on Saturday? SUPER DUUUPPERRRR!

…NOT! (Insert Borat accent here). It is another fabulous Friday here in Kveshkheti. I am posted up in chemis sakhali (my house) doing my mass amounts of work and yes, that’s correct – studying for a teaching test. No big deal really common sense material.

This week has been crazy insane- insane crazy. Yea, that’s right, I said it! So Monday was my first day teaching. I rocked out. Tuesday I taught 7-9th grade. I did not rock out. Wednesday I taught a double session in the 5-6th grade. I rocked out hard. This pattern has been a steady sin wave in all honesty. There is a comfort in knowing that no matter how hard I try (and how much I have my supervisor translate) the counter part I work with for the 7-9th graders just does not know english. It becomes awkwardly apparent when the lesson starts and she is not doing her part. I am learning a lot about my strengths and weaknesses at a rapid pace. My already existing respect for teachers has grown exponentially this past week. For all of us that never cared in class, or gave our teachers a hard time…try teaching and you will probably want to shoot yourself in the foot for ever being rude. Hahahaha. 35 minutes has never been so bi-polar – it can be the shortest or LONGEST amount of time I have ever experience all in one day.

Teaching methods here are still very Soviet-oriented. This is the biggest challenge for us, as we are pushed to use rather controversial methods. There is not a grading system in the schools here, and students are just given passing grades and pushed through to the next grade. Although frustrating, it is the only reality the teachers and students know. It is going to take quite a bit of time to change the larger issues. I have faith that over time things will improve, there are so many bright teachers that have a willingness to promote change.

Our lesson planning takes up most of our evenings now. Add language assignments, cross-cultural assignments, evaluations and the multiple tests we are given and it equals the BEST WEEK EVER! (Insert sarcastic tone here). I personally enjoy having a lot of work to do but I know a lot of people have hit a wall. It is difficult to truly integrate into our communities and families when we literally have over an 80 hour work week. We are so focused right now that our perspective is very narrow. This makes it quite difficult to see the bigger picture – volunteering is not going to be like training, and training is going to make volunteering possible. I have faith in our staff, they are all very smart and helpful. Five weeks from now and into my service I hope that I can look back on this time and appreciate all the silly tasks I had to complete.

The spiders are multiplying in the shower, naturally I started to name them all: Fred, Bono, Brett, Giorgi, Alfred, Igor and Zed. I am pretty sure they are all making babies with Shaniqua because there are more every stinkin’ day. I contintue to administer a no tolerance policy with insects in my bedroom and no I do not discriminate!

Tomorrow I have a four hour language class, then my technical test. Afterwards I am heading to Khashuri to use the internet! I am going to spend the night at Amanda’s and we are having lunch with Tyler’s family on Sunday. Next week is going to be packed too- we have teaching Mon- Thurs, a Hub session all day Friday and then TEFL has job shadowing that weekend. We get our permanent site assignments on July 25th! I am SO excited.

OH SNAP! I almost forgot the most exciting thing! Yesterday I got to wake up at 4am to travel to Tbilisi…to meet Condoleezza Rice!!! She came to town and decided to shout a holler at some U.S. volunteer agencies in Georgia. Nah, I’m just kiddin’ she was here on some official business but she did fit in a session to talk and shake hands with some volunteer groups currently serving. Not everyone got to go due to a limited capacity so I was excited to have the opportunity. I got to get out of language class for a day and we got our driver to stop at McDonalds. A BIGMAC AND NUGGETS HAVE NEVER TASTED SO GOOD! Haha.

OK, now I am done. I have to study and sleep. Tomorrow demands way too much as it is!

PEACE OUT.

11 comments:

Kari said...

1, are you sure it's not a cosine wave?

2, i'm watching best week ever. not the same as you were mentioning with your sarcasm tone, more vh1 style.

3, i want wendy's now. nuggets!

Anonymous said...

haha your fffaaattttt....i hope the big mac was tasty

Anonymous said...

Mickey D's? and she wonders why she has flab behind her ears...

Spank Condi for me. I'm more or less just commenting so you know I'm keeping up on your life.

Anonymous said...

gretch! i dare you to eat a spider.

mud frog said...

I just love reading about your adventure! Leave it to you to find a Big Mac in a foreign land - I am sure you swallowed it whole - love your description of teaching -the rock out thing, you must attract spiders, I read Amanda's blog - you are twins from different mothers, check out my comment to her when you can! You make me laugh out loud! Thanks! Love you!

Unknown said...

haha kari don't be a smart ass. gretch ur week sounds extremely intense!! I love ur names for the spiders :) I was wondering why they were all boys, and then you threw in the shaniqua, that ho. If I could get it through customs I would send you 100 big macs. BOOP

Unknown said...

What do you think those Big Macs are made of? SPIDERS....and the nuggets are snake meat. LOL... No different from what they make here.

Love you longtime...

The Big Cheeseman

Unknown said...

write another post soon. i don't even know if these give you email notifications, but hopefully it does :) I MISS YOU IN MY LIFEEEE

asha said...

aww gretch. i knew shaniqua would twerk it...sigh. i want to know more about your life. make it happeN! miss u soo much

Anonymous said...

Gretchie! I miss you! I'm glad that you're rockin out in Georgia, and I wanted an address so I can mail you stuff....what are you missing over there? I will totally send you scones or twizzlers or something :-) Keep being the awesome person you are

Aqsa said...

hahaha gretch.

this sounds so intense. KEEP FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT.. u know me and my quotes - "I hated every minute of training, but I thought to myself, 'Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'" get through training and it will surely get better!!! :)

lol, oh mcd's. we've had some good runs to the one on water st.

u makin us proud love! :) i'll email you soon.